Good Governance Practices for CNCF Projects
Too many maintainers think they don’t need governance … until something goes wrong. Undefined or inadequate governance results in a lack of transparency that causes confusion over how decisions are made, unrealistic expectations, and unresolved disagreements. The CNCF helps projects adopt good governance practices with a focus on fair and transparent governance from sandbox to incubating to graduated.
This talk will cover:
- Why governance is important
- Selecting an appropriate governance model
- Templates with patterns that work well to bootstrap CNCF projects
- The role of mission, values, and scope in setting expectations
- Defining roles, responsibilities, processes, and procedures within your governance model
- Contributor ladders to help people move into leadership positions
- The governance pros and cons of contributing a project to the CNCF
The audience will get practical advice about creating fair and neutral governance structures and processes for open-source projects.