Good Governance Practices for CNCF Projects
Practical advice to create neutral, fair governance structures and processes for open-source projects
Too many maintainers think they don’t need governance … until something goes wrong. Undefined or inadequate governance results in a lack of transparency that causes confusion over how decisions are made, unrealistic expectations, and unresolved disagreements. The CNCF helps projects adopt good governance practices with a focus on fair and transparent governance from sandbox to incubating to graduated.
This talk will cover:
- Why governance is important
- Selecting an appropriate governance model
- Templates with patterns that work well to bootstrap CNCF projects
- The role of mission, values, and scope in setting expectations
- Defining roles, responsibilities, processes, and procedures within your governance model
- Contributor ladders to help people move into leadership positions
- The governance pros and cons of contributing a project to the CNCF
The audience will get practical advice about creating fair and neutral governance structures and processes for open-source projects.
Was this page helpful?
Glad to hear it! Please tell us how we can improve.
Sorry to hear that. Please tell us how we can improve.
Last modified July 3, 2022: move all pages into sidebar format (40c25c9)